Time for Teachers To Find That Relaxation Moment
Well, the summer break is finally here and you definitely deserve to recharge your energy from so much that you give to your students day in and day out.
All teachers know that teaching can be a stressful job. The key is to get organized and make time for yourself. This holiday season we at Teach n’ Kids Learn want you to commit to yourself to truly take some time each day to relax. We are not talking about just sitting in front of the TV, but by lying quietly and breathing deeply for a few minutes each day.
Here is an easy and rejuvenating breathing technique you can use anytime to bring you to that relaxing moment within.
THE ABDOMINAL BREATH
- Find a quiet place where you rest alone and uninterrupted for a few minutes.
- Turn off the lights, and if you want, put your favorite soothing music.
- Lay down comfortably on your back and close your eyes (if you have extra pillows place them piled up under your knees for greater comfort and low back support)
- Place your right-hand palm on your abdomen, and your left-hand palm at the center of your chest.
- Develop awareness of the flow of the breath in and out your nose.
- Using the sensitivity of your right-hand palm experience the rise and fall of your abdomen as you breathe in and out respectively (soft and easy, exhaling very slowly)
- Use the left hand to monitor that the CHEST DOES NOT MOVE
- Try slowing your respiration down by making each breath cycle last 10 to 15 seconds.
- Do this for four or five breath cycles or anytime you feel stressed. Take some time just for you each day.
Remember, we all know that teaching can be a stressful job. The key is to get organized and make time for yourself. Set the intention to lower your stress level, and you will be mentally ready for the second half of the school year.
Enjoy your relaxing time for yourself and with family! Take good care of yourself and let us know how you feel!
Your professional development partner,
Teach n’ Kids Learn (TKL)
Guest Blogger Veronica Vidal, Master Yoga Instructor and Life Coach