Various areas of classroom management will be explored, including classroom set-up and arrangement, teaching social skills, teaching cooperative learning strategies, power dynamics and struggles, rewards and punishments, rules and expectations, student buy-in, consistency, and other topics.
In this course, participants will gain insight into classroom management and ways to keep a positive focus in the classroom. Shifts in common classroom practices will be highlighted, including setting up a positive classroom culture, explicitly teaching expectations and reinforcing positive behaviors in the classroom, and building positive relationships with students. Research shows that teacher’s actions, including classroom management, have a high impact on student achievement. Numerous studies conducted over the past few decades have outlined the importance of having a classroom where students and teachers are clear on behavioral expectations as well as consequences for inappropriate behavior.
This course will explore practical teaching strategies to integrate positive classroom management into the classroom. Various areas of classroom management will be explored, including classroom set-up and arrangement, teaching social skills, teaching cooperative learning strategies, power dynamics and struggles, rewards and punishments, rules and expectations, student buy-in, consistency, and other topics. Participants will learn about the “public praise/private conversations” philosophy and how it can change the dynamic of the classroom.
Integration of Danielson Framework:
- Domain 1b: Demonstrating Knowledge of Students
- Domain 2a: Creating an Environment of Respect and Rapport
- Domain 2b. Establishing a Culture for Learning
- Domain 2c. Managing Classroom Procedures
- Domain 2d. Managing Student Behavior
- Domain 2e. Organizing Physical Space
This course is offered for educators in the following locations:
- Arizona, (45 Clock Hours)
- California, LAUSD (2 Salary Points)
- Hawaii, (45 Clock Hours)
- Illinois, (45 Clock Hours)
- Michigan, (50 SCECH Credits)
- National Open Enrollment, (45 Clock Hours)
- New York City/ASPDP (3 Salary Advancement P-Credits)
- New York State Re-Certification (45 CTLE Clock Hours)
- Ohio, (40 Clock Hours)
- Pennsylvania, Approved ACT 48 Provider
- Texas, Approved CPE Provider
- Ashland University, (3 Graduate Credits)